Thursday, February 23, 2006

AHOP reviewed at Tangent online

That's the good news. The bad news is that the guy kind-of bashed my story, "Dirk Moonfire & the Nefarious Space Women". He didn't hate it, just said it didn't suit his tastes:

"It clearly takes talent to jam a story full of almost every trite Golden Age science fiction trope, but Mangan has managed to do just that."
After a bit of plot summary: "Sound like fun? Then you’ll enjoy this story. As for me, so-bad-they’re-painful science fiction flicks of the 1950s are funny only if the Mystery Science 3000 gang are on hand to make jokes."
"He not only tries to skewer overused plot devices, but also attempts to wring humor from bad writing techniques." -- bad writing techniques?? Buddy, that's my actual prose! ;)

So that's not exactly a scathing review, and he liked the other stories. . . so good. Hopefully it will sell a few more copies of AHOPs 1 & 2.

So why blog a negative review? Because it's not really THAT negative a review; someone might read the review and be inspired to check out "Dirk Moonfire & the Nefarious Space Women"; and there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?
I really want to drill those 6 words plus ampersand into your head: "Dirk Moonfire & the Nefarious Space Women"
"Dirk Moonfire & the Nefarious Space Women"
"Dirk Moonfire & the Nefarious Space Women"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your attitude, Jack. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Also, personally I tend to get more interested in a story if it gets both negative and positive reviews.

One of my own stories has been called both "made me feel like I completely wasted my time..." and "this is how experimental writing should be, but rarely is..."

Some of the best stories are often controversial.

Also, Doug Hoffman's comment on my story was so noncommittal, so bland. OK, so he's positive, but the way it's written has gotten 'it's not for me' all over it, without actually saying it.

Curious to find who'll be reviewing IZ #202 for Tangent...

2/24/2006 3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jet?

That was supposed to read "Jetse"...

;-)

2/24/2006 3:07 AM  
Blogger JackMangan said...

Thanks jetSE!
Speedy recovery from your injuries man! My best wishes are with you.

Your stories are so daring, so challenging; I can see why they make some readers and reviewers squirm. Judging by the positive and negative reviews of your stories that I've read, I'd say you're probably doing something really right.
And since I've read a bunch of your published stuff - - I'd say you're definitely doing something right.

2/24/2006 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home