Friday, December 09, 2005

Duel of the Fates 2 - updated poll results

Below are the Top 50 vote-getters so far for the DotF 2 tournament. I'm going to close the polling stations next Friday (12/16), one week from today. Still plenty of time for things to change! E-mail your votes to duelofthefates at gmail dot com. The numbers are still close enough that anyone in the top 50 can make the Final 8. It's not even too late to for your new suggestions to get in, so don't be shy with your character ideas. One thing to clarify though - I appreciate your suggestions for matchups, but I'm really just looking for individual characters for the DotF 2 tourney.

About the list:

I've added some thingies after the names; here's the symbols' legend:
* Was in a Season 1 Duel.
** Was in the Duel of the Fates: Battle Royale live event at Coppercon 31.
### Mike and Evo. I don't think I'm going to have these guys in the tournament. Same goes for the Kick-Ass Mystic Ninjas. Mike and Evo have received a few votes, but I think ultimately it's funnier in theory than in practice. . . To all of you who voted for them, I still appreciate your suggestions! And I suspect that the Mike and Evo characters will make some kind of appearance during the season. . . I'm not going to exclude TD0013, however, since he is a fictional character.
1-8. These numbers show the 8 characters who'd be IN if the season were to start today.

And finally, here's the list:

1. Dr. Evil (Austin Powers)
2. Gandalf*
Evo & Mike###
3. T-800 Terminator (Arnold)
4. Connor MacLeod (Highlander)
5. Thor (Norse Mythos and Marvel Comics)
6. Conan (of lit -- and Arnold)
7. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace (BS:G 2005)
8. Ash from Evil Dead*

Six Million Dollar Man
Molly from Neuromancer*
Aslan
Dirk Moonfire (from Jack Mangan’s brilliant novella, “Dirk Moonfire & the Nefarious Space Women”)
Smaug (from The Hobbit)
Beastmaster (not Arnold -- Marc Singer)
TD0013
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars Et Al)
The Borg Queen (Star Trek: First Contact, Voyager)
Tomi (Spherical Tomi – LOVE the Podiobook!)
Data (Star Trek; TNG, Generations, First Contact, Isurrection, Nemesis)
Jayne (Firefly)
Yoda (Star Wars)
Dumbledore (Harry Potter)
The One Ring (Lord of the Rings)
Teal’c (Stargate SG-1)
River (from Firefly)
Ender
Hoban Washbourne from Firefly/Serenity
Sharon 'Boomer' Valeri from new BSG
Wedge Antilles
King Kong
Zombie number 1 (from Dawn of the Dead)
Evo Terra###
Gully Foyle (from Stars My Destination)
Voldemort
Spock
William Shatner (Kirk was in the first season - - not Shatner himself)
Jenna Jameson (from. . . oh you know exactly which movies she’s been in)
Dr. Who
Buffy
Spike
Man from Atlantis
Ed (from Shaun of the Dead movie)
Underdog
Arthur Dent
K!@%& Reeves
Hamlet (hey, he saw the spectre of his dad -- the play has Spec-Fic elements)
Leia Organa Skywalker Solo (Jingleheimer-Schmidt)
Catwoman
Dr. Frank N. Furter (from Rocky Horror)**
Emperor Palpatine**
Ripley (from Alien)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool as it stands now I picked 3 of 8 (Would have been 4 but you threw out Micheal and Evo)

Looking forward to the throw down. About when should we look for new episodes?

How long and what goes into the production of an episode?

Just curious...

12/09/2005 7:53 PM  
Blogger JackMangan said...

The tournament bracket will be set up by the end of next week. I expect that new episodes should begin release either right before or right after New Year's.

For the curious:
Quite a lot of effort goes into each DotF episode, but they're still infinitely easier to create than Spherical Tomi podiobook installments. I write little notes about the characters as I prep for each match; those notes then find their way into the final episode script. The recording is usually the easiest part -- pretty much a straight reading of the script, with occasional last-minute changes, but rarely any improv. Once that's done, the sound effects, bed music, and other production details can sometimes be finished same-day, but I usually do it the following evening. The whole process takes anywhere from 3 days to a week.

12/10/2005 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey can I change my vote from Micheal and Evo to TD0013?
BTW you did pronounce my last name correctly. I forgot to tell you that, I was still in shock at hearing my name in a podcast. Thanks again.

12/12/2005 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home