Thursday, May 12, 2005

Creating the Epic Fantasy

I'm breaking my blog's "No amusing weblinks" rule to bring you this.

Now that's some funny damn stuff.

For the record, I'd written a similar non-fic piece in the same vein a few years back, but never bothered to polish it and submit it anywhere. If I ever do drag that thing out and publish it, let the record show that the two satirical looks at epic fantasy were both created independently and in ignorance of each other. However, since theirs is out first, and so funny, and so well done, I'll really have to retouch mine to purge any similarities. But enough of my CMA rambling (rambling - that's another blog rule broken! dammit!)... OK go check out the link.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack, that whole rant on "creating a fantasy novel" is just a summary of cliches--probably hollywood cliches. Every fantasy writer I know ignores at least half those rules. For example, Stackpole's fantasy heroes are all hyper-competent. The digs at Tolkien were particularly unkind. He did describe the battles at Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith in great detail. Hobbits, do seem to have a tendancy to get knocked out--still that's better than being killed out right.
--Ken St. Andre

10/26/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger JackMangan said...

Hey Ken!

Wow, this is an old post that you're responding to. Well yes, the article plays against the Tolkien clones, which have unjustly been so hyper-successful. I don't think it was a dig at Tolkien at all.

This blog is defunct - - head over to www.jackmangan.com for durrent stuff. I hope you're doing well, Ken.

10/26/2006 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home